Cemetery NumberNS060
TownNORTH SMITHFIELD
Cemetery NameJOHN MOWRY LOT
Find A Grave (Opens in New Tab)
Graves ListDisplay Graves List
Location215 IRON MINE HILL ROAD
StateRI
DirectionW
Pole Number190
Distance200
Map Number 
Page Number 
Plat Number 
Deed Book 
Deed Page 
Size in Feet 
Size in Feet 
Burials4
Inscriptions0
Fieldstones4
Tombs 
Exist?YES
Last seen date?2018
Newest1690
Oldest1690
Vandalism 
Veteran 
PoleN
CommentThis cemetery is located behind #215 Iron Mine Road, 815 feet NW of Iron Mine Road and 715 feet SW of Sayles Hill Road. Surveyed by Irene Nebiker in 1970. “Courtesy of Milton West. North of the road leading to Milton West Farm at the base of an ash tree.” The lot sits atop a slightly raised mound at the edge of what was an old field. We may have found the graves of John Mowry (1645 - 1690) and Mary "Olney" Mowry (1647 - 1690) on Iron Mine Hill Rd at the Milton West Farm. Here's some background on them and their farm on Iron Mine Hill: [During the settlement of these farms, the garrison was built on the summit of Fort Hill, some twenty rods to the northwest of the Arioch Comstock house, to which these families resorted for protection in the time of war, and even in times of peace they were accustomed to drive their flocks within the enclosure, and set a watch to protect them from the Indians. Roger Morey settled in Rhode Island. John Morey, son of Roger, settled on what is known as Sayles Hill. The cellar of his house, filled with stone, is now seen by the visitor to the farm of Benjamin Sayles, near the present school-house. He and his wife died of the small-pox, and were buried in the cemetery a few rods from the above mentioned school-house. John Mowry (changed from Morey) and Edward Inman received a deed of two thousand acres from William Minnivo of Tunskipage, in Massachusetts Bay…]
Conditionfair
Enclosureno enclosure
Gateno gate
Growthovergrown-trees
Terrainlevel
Cemetery Location
Cemetery Burial Map N/A