Cemetery NumberNT011
TownNEWPORT
Cemetery NameGOV. BENEDICT ARNOLD GRAVEYARD
Find A Grave (Opens in New Tab) Go to Find a Grave
Graves ListDisplay Graves List
LocationPELHAM ST
StateRI
DirectionN
Pole Number7
Distance40
Map Number 
Page Number 
Plat Number 
Deed Book 
Deed Page 
Size in Feet60
Size in Feet60
OwnerOWNER UNKNOWN 1969
Burials71
Inscriptions57
Fieldstones 
Tombs 
Exist?YES
Last seen date? 
Newest1834
Oldest1677
VandalismN
Veteran1
PoleG
CommentAlthough this cemetery is extremely important from both the historical and artistic perspectives, it was literally buried for many years and only saved by the most dedicated, backbreaking work. See Alice Brayton's book "The Burying Place of Governor Arnold," Newport, RI, 1960 for the story of its restoration and fine photographs of the excellent carvings and inscriptions. Most stones have an individual photograph and biographical sketch of the person for whom it was carved. The material has been entered in the database and is coded JB (John Howard Benson). An undated, but surely late 19th century transcript by George Henry Richardson (GHR) has preserved readings of many now lost stones in their original location. These are noted "GHR only, not found 1960." Richardson's ms can be seen at Newport Historical Society. Those interested in even greater details of the cemetery at the turn of the twentieth century should consult the "Report of J.N. Arnold, Commissioner to inquire into the present condition of the Governor Benedict Arnold Burial Place, and the title thereto, made to the General Assembly at its January Session, 1901," Providence, 1901. This pamphlet contains a wealth of historical detail and three maps, as well as two different transcriptions: (1) two stones copied in 1858 by Dr. Henry Jackson (HJ) and (2) seven stones copied by an anonymous friend of Arnold's (ANON). In addition to the original burials, there are graves moved into the cemetery in living memory. An undocumented note in our database for MT020, the Weeden Lot formerly at Green End & Valley Rd., Middletown, says that John Howard Benson, then owner of the Arnold graveyard and the Stevens shop, had the graves moved in 1960. The note does not specify the number, but it likely was small, as Richardson recorded only two in the Middletown cemetery in the late 19th century. GPS coordinates 41 deg. 29' 09.56"N x 71 deg. 18' 43.25"W
Conditiongood
Enclosuremetal fence
Gategate missing
Growthgrass-well kept
Terrainlevel